Nov 7, 2018
Intermittent fasting is our modern-day way of mimicking ancestral eating, where intentionally creating these stressors makes us more resilient and helps us heal on a cellular level. We sit down with Nicole Centeno, a French Culinary Institute–trained chef and the founder and CEO of Splendid Spoon to discuss it all, from soup to nuts.
We both love soup. In fact, it might be the very thing that’s held this relationship together after 17 years. So, when we met Nicole, or as we lovingly refer to her, Dame Spoon, we were excited to have another cook in the kitchen.
Nicole is amazing because she is one of the few people who enjoys geeking out about the power of food as medicine as much as we do. And she makes a killer Ikarian stew. Also you’ll learn how to pronounce Ikaria.
If entering into a state of ketosis has left you in a state of panic, you’re not alone. It’s becoming increasingly difficult to understand whether or not we should be eating like cavemen, not eating like Kate Moss circa 1997, or just focusing on plants, like, well, just about everyone these days.
Here's some of what we cover:
· Nicole did a bit of studying in college and learned how ancestral eating and antient fasting rituals were used to treat people with epilepsy.
· Ancestral eating is how we ate when we didn’t have the crazy abundance of food we do today. #Snacknation
· In caveman days, if you binged on a pint of ice cream you would probably slip into a very long nap…and then you would wake up dead, because another animal ate you. So, if we’re not smart about what we eat – we’re probably not passing on our genes, ya know?
· We get into all of it: industrial farming, intermittent fasting, lectins, Blue Zones, dirt smoothies. …what?! You haven’t heard of dirt smoothies?!
· We also learn how Nicole, within 2.5 years: started a business, had a baby, got pregnant with the second, ended her marriage and wrote a book. Not bad, Nicole. Not bad. But did you do it all in heels? Psh. Thought so.
SPECIAL OFFER FOR LISTENERS! Enjoy $20 off your first Splendid Spoon delivery with the discount code splendid.to/htwpodcast. Check out the two new Smoothies in the Breakfast line, Blackberry Basil & Carrot Ginger Chia!
Siete Foods | Use code HTWSiete for 10% your order at sietefoods.com